If you have been mailing letters in the U.S, then the term First class stamp might not be at all new to you. The term implies that the cost of sending the letter stays the same as long as the letter that you’re sending weighs one ounce or below.
Even if the price changes in future, one can still use the previous stamps without being charged anything. For instance, in 2016, the price of first class letters fell to $0.46 before increasing again to $0.49. People who had already bought the stamps at that time can still use these stamps to send a letter that weighs one ounce or less.
If the first class letter that you are sending weighs more than one ounce, then you will be charged an extra 0.21 for every ounce. Also, first class stamp vary in prices with regard to their weight, size, shape and mail class. By mail class we mean that there are those that are regarded as priority mail, some are domestic while others are international. First class domestic mails are priced differently from first class international mail. The first class domestic mail costs $0.49 per the current rates, while the first class international mail costs $1.15. This cost is for letters alone as parcels and other items have their own rates.
The prices of first class stamps
Before we look at the different costs of first class stamps, it is important to note that these prices became effective in the beginning of 2017. They are as follows:
- Letter stamps – before you acquire a stamp for sending your letter with, you should know if it is of the standard size or rectangular envelopes which are normally charged at $0.49. But if the letter you’re sending is of a square size, oversized or an unusual envelope, then it will cost you from $0.70.
- Postcard stamps – unlike letters, postcards usually cost less. For standard sized and rectangular envelopes, one can be charged from $0.34.
- Global Forever International stamps – sending a letter or postcard abroad is more costly than sending it within the U.S. Normally, standard size and rectangular envelopes cost from 1.15 and above.
N/B: Before going to buy a stamp, you should know the size and weight of your letter so that you can have a rough idea of what you will be required to pay at the post office to send your letter successfully.
Below is a table of the current United States Postal Service first class mail stamps costs.
|Type of first class stamp||First class stamp rate|
|First class mail letter (1oz.) – Retail/Post office rate||$0.49|
|First class mail letter (1oz.) – Metered mail/Stamps.com rate||$0.46|
|First class mail letter – each additional ounce||$0.21|
|First class mail flat (1oz.)||$0.98|
|First class mail flat – each additional ounce||$0.21|
|First class mail international letter||$1.15|
|First class package service||$2.61 and above|
|First class package international service (1oz., group 1)||$14.73 and above|
From the table above, one can easily see that first class stamps vary from one another with regard to a number of things. A normal letter can be sent with $0.49 and anything beyond the usual weight will cost $0.21 per every ounce. First class international letters require a stamp worth $1.15 and first class package services cost from $2.61 and above if its within the country, while if it’s going beyond the country, it will cost from $14.73 and above. Also, first class mail flat costs $0.98 to send and anything above the recommended weight is charged $0.21 per ounce.
Other things to note about first class mail stamps is that they are delivered within three business days and is one of the most affordable way to send envelopes an lightweight items within the United States and abroad. This makes them to be suitable for use by business and personal correspondence. Below are some of the features of first class mail:
- It’s the best priced service for mail up to 13 ounces.
- Has an insurance for loss or damage of up to $5, 000 for merchandise only
- Delivery of items between one to three business days
- Receive up to 3.5 ounces free with commercial priced letters and cards
- Can combine with additional services to confirm delivery
Now that you know the cost of first class stamps, you can go ahead and buy a stamp that will enable you send it to a state or country of your choice. If you want your letter or envelope to reach its destination quick, you can decide to specify it as priority or express mail. First class stamp cost for sending a letter within the country differs from that of sending the same letter abroad. Things that determine the type of first class stamp you use on your letter or parcel include: their weight, shape and size.